Need a new roof but not sure where to turn? Hiring a roofer starts by asking your neighbors or Homeowner Association (HOA) who they recommend. You definitely want to check roofing contractor requirements for your neighborhood and be sure to get at least two estimates.
Check references, reviews and qualifications, compare bids and negotiate the final price. Below are some helpful tips to keep in mind when hiring a roofing company to replace your roof.
Roofing Contractor QualificationsRoofing contractors have to meet the criteria local and state area. Remember, good roofing contractors are:
- Licensed in your area
- Willing to provide references
- Willing to give you a written estimate
Services a Roofer OffersRoofing services vary from contractor to company. Ask the two or three roofers you’re interested in working with what services they offer. Some common roofing services include:
- Roof inspections that check for leaks and damages
- Repairs and maintenance
- Installation and replacement
- Weatherproofing, insulating and ventilation
Questions to Ask a RooferInterviewing contractors is an important step in hiring the right roofer. Here’s what to ask:
- What types of roofing do you install?
- Do you work with homeowner’s insurance to file claims?
- Do you have a current license to do this work in my area?
- What types of insurance do you have, and what is the coverage?
- Can you give me two or three references to check?
- Do you offer a free on-site inspection?
- Do you take photos during the inspection and after completing the project?
- Will you give me a written estimate after the inspection?
- Is your work covered by manufacturer warranty?
- How do you keep projects on schedule? What’s your inclement weather policy?
- Do you remove or dispose of old roofing materials? Is there a disposal charge? Do you recycle old materials?
- When and how do you bill or invoice? Do you accept credit cards? Do you offer financing?
Choosing the Right Roofing Contractor Always get bids from a few roofing contractors before choosing the one that’s right for you. You may choose the most reasonable, mid-priced bid or the contractor with the lowest price and best availability. With the right budget, you might opt for the roofer with the highest estimate and 20 years of experience to install the type of roof you want.
No matter which bid you choose, make sure your roofer has the right qualifications and good references.
And remember – Door-to-door bids, when a roofer visits neighborhoods hard hit by storms and high winds, can be predatory. No matter which bid you choose, make sure your roofer has the right qualifications, good references, they are licensed and insured before accepting any bid.
The Roof Guy of Annapolis is locally owned by Gary Lidard. For over 15 years, Gary has been replacing roofs in Annapolis and Anne Arundel County. Give him a call today at 410.570.4956, you’ll be glad you did.