Is Your Roof Ready?
Strong summer storms are a way of life in Maryland and residents will too often blow off the news of bad weather, leaving them to panic when they realize the impact might be greater than originally predicted. That’s why it’s best to start preparing your home now, as hurricane season is in full swing.
Follow these helpful tips to ensure you, and your roof, are able to weather any storm.
1) Secure doors and windows. If any debris is flying through the air and it breaks a window, it can suddenly increase the pressure inside your home, and your roof will act like a giant parachute. To prevent this from occurring, make sure your doors and windows are tightly secured and locked during the height of the storm.
2) Take an inventory of your home. Unfortunately, you may have some damage after a storm, and you want to make sure that you’re ready for the insurance company when they send an adjuster to your home. Prepare now by taking photos and videos of your home that you can provide to an adjuster for comparison.
3) Secure any loose items in your yard. Any items that could damage your home, or anyone else’s, should be moved indoors. Patio furniture should be stored in your garage, shed or home. Stowing your vehicle is also important. If you don’t have a garage, move your car away from any large trees that may fall and cause damage.
4) Try to keep branches away from your home. Branches should not be within six feet of your house. In high winds, these are going to act like large whips, damaging your roof system.
5) Make sure your insurance policy is up to date and that you have no coverage gaps. If a tree hits your home, or a limb strikes, the first thing you need to do is contact your insurance company.
The second thing to do is call a dependable, licensed tree service. They will help you get the tree off of your roof and tarp it.
Have questions about your roof?Call The Roof Guy 410.570.4956